No Tricks, Just Another Storytelling Treat.


In jest of Halloween, an event I don’t celebrate in earnest but do acknowledge... is the energy behind this post.

Okay, so I just finished reading Steve Martin’s ‘Born Standing Up’, just after reading Night by Wiesel and Plan It by Sharon Lucas. My thoughts are here, here, and here. In short, each book turned me in opposite directions. Plan It was quite inspiring. I took one good note, and gleaned quite a bit of inspiration from the remaining content, almost as much inspiration as I got from Martin’s book. Wiesel’s book flat out sent a chill up my spine. In fact, this post started to go in a far steeper, deeper, darker direction, until I came to my senses and realized I’d better leave that direction alone. Some wisdom is best kept to myself; a slim version of hiding behind a mask, huh?

At any rate, back to where I ultimately decided to take this post came about after talking about Steve Martin’s memoir with my husband. I love Martin’s humor. His leading role in Father of the Bride is most endearing. The on screen character I associate with his true character. Sautéed humor, annoyed easily, but overall a generally pleasant disposition perfect to enjoy watching from a theatre seat, or reading in a book.

Upon mentioning this to my husband, our discussion quickly turned into a sort of ‘lively’ debate about who started stand-up comedy. We started dissecting Richard Pryor’s use of the word mother*!^!$!, which none too ironic Martin explained in his book as a humor technique. In place of using the word mother*!^!$!, Martin used silence and offbeat phrases, and other subtle but just as blatant distractions to elicit laughs. My husband hadn’t read the book, so I ended up shaving my remarks down to how I loved ‘them all’… comedians that being.

A little later I had to laugh to myself about being able to love all that array of comedy. Be it Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Foxx, Pryor, Murphy, the Mac, Aykroyd, Letterman, Sykes, Monique, Ced the Entertainer, Martin Lawrence…and the list goes on, I love them all, despite their different styles, techniques and brands of humor.

That’s when this post came to me. It’s not easy for many to understand how some can love seemingly anyone so easily… inserting ‘I love’ at the beginning of almost everything.

The best way to generate this love is by getting to know someone else’s story from their point of view. Of course I do this A LOT, so I do say ‘I LOVE’ such-and-such A LOT too. Believe it or not this not only works wonders for loving others, but for respecting, appreciating, and loving what’s behind my mask too.

No tricks, just a treat. Happy Halloween.

Comments

Popular Posts