On the 8th Day of Christmas...


On the 8th day of Christmas my readers said to me,
share them page-turners that pulled you through

This year my health has not been great, and I lost my baby brother. What pulled me through a turbulent year was reading genuine page-turners. Below are most favored honorable mentions not included among my all-time favorite books read this year. Please visit back for that list!

Terri Lyons, author of Puzzles, I tell all the time how her book relaxed me. The story is set in the late fifties and built around a menace coming to a small town. Racial tensions and school segregation are on the menu, but then so is community and family on the table. I didn’t want to stop reading. The writing is passionate, humorous, engaging, and was healing to my spirit.

Until Next Time by J.J. Ellis was another small book that worked its spiritual healing magic on me. I contacted the author soon as I finished reading this packed-tight collection of short stories on wifedom, motherhood, and balancing life on a month to day basis.

Cleveland’s Gospel by Frederick Burton placated me with plenty of timeless photos taken of earlier gospel groups. This is a book that hardly needs words to follow the timeline of when wealth and riches were simply inside the voice.

Hostage by Linda Davies is a hard story about being kidnapped at sea with her husband and ‘the skipper.’ All I have to say is a writer has mastered the craft when he or she can turn a hard story into a healing read. Linda set this story down on paper like an experienced pilot smoothly sits a lame jet down on a tarmac.

Stir Up the Monkeys by Betty W. Bohlen was the book I reached for one evening while curled up on the sofa. I took a peek and before I knew it hours had passed. I laughed so hard and was so engaged in Betty’s spin on life that not only had I forgotten my intermittent ailment, but realized I had read almost the entire book.

And Grumpy Old Menopause by Carol Wyer is one of those page-turners where the title says it all. Enough said.

Other books I credit for containing incredible amounts of healing power, though not quite page-turners mostly due to length, was She Likes It Rough by G.V.R. Corcillo, Etched in My Memory by Sol Tetlebaum, Naked by Julie Freed, Proof of Angels by Mary Curran Hackett, Someone Could Get Hurt by Drew Magary, Bird Dream by Matt Higgins, and The Education of a Value Investor by Gary Spier.

If there is anything more to say to each of the authors, it’s in one of my favorite quotes. “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”

From the bottom of my heart... 
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 
— Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular Posts