Making Waves

It is subjects like the one I'm about to broach that often has me rethinking the whole notion of taking myself, or anyone else for that matter, seriously. But I'll skirt all around that cargo to weigh in on three comments I’ve heard… a lot, in regards to my writing.

First there’s the question, “am I still writing?” This is both a good and bad question with an obvious answer. The good is at least not everyone thinks I'm always shoved in a corner writing. although it's not the greatest newsflash that an untapped audience like this does not know I am still writing.

Also, a comment I've heard a lot is, “don’t look for it, and then it will come,” among an assortment of variations such as;  “it’s not your time,” “be still,” “wait,” and “when you least expect it, it will happen.”

I liked to think I knew what the “wait” sentiment meant, except, did I really? Like, wait for what? Years ago I sat down and jotted down on a little square of paper…today all yellowed and stained, but neatly folded into the shape of a football… a top ten list of what I wanted to achieve out of life. This wasn’t a whimsical list either. Major goals were listed; goals that dating back in the 80’s were wildly unviable, yet, 9 of the 10 goals I’ve achieved. Only one goal remains… bringing me to the third proverb I’ve heard a lot.

Making waves, and lookout, because I just finished reading Michael Moore’s memoir, ‘Here Comes Trouble…’ the inspiration behind this post.

Very, very, very frequently I’ve been told I make waves. I ask too many questions, the wrong questions, questions I’ve tried to get my arms around, to steer this social ignominy in the right direction.

Until reading Moore's memoir I believed making waves meant “stirring the contents in the wrong pot the wrong way,” or “being socially uncoordinated, clumsy or inept,” or plain causing “unwarranted” “unnecessary” “meaningless” “hopeless” “vain” “foolish” “aimless” “pointless” trouble.

Now the picture of addressing pink elephants in rooms is a wee bit clearer. I fully understand, not only the reason I held on to Moore's memoir (my other thoughts here) for so long without reading it, but why making waves is a social diktat not intended to be manipulated. The revelation was almost like looking in a mirror, which for me was profound; so profound that 'Here Comes Trouble' vies very closely, like neck and neck with Who Moved My Cheese; the parable I credit for being the inspiration behind moving my BA-hind to scratch two of the three goals I had left to achieve, off my once unattainable aspirations.

Comments

Popular Posts