Has This Ever Happened To You?


...You just finished reading a book so doggone' good that you worry about finding another one similar to it?

This is where I am, and it isn't the first time this has happened. It's got to be the crankiest thing though. On one hand I crave finding books to sink into, but then hate it when I see the story wrapping up, knowing I'm going to be back at that craving, only this time pining for a read that will have to double in intensity to overshadow a hard act to follow.

So, I guess the secret is out of the bag. I loved, LOVED 'No Disrespect.' Words flowed fast and easy writing my thoughts about the book. I've posted reviews here and here. Make no mistake about it, and without apology I know Sister Souljah was fired up addressing the ills she saw and felt all around her. But she delivers her message with as much compassion as she does passion. And that's what I really appreciate in books I consider a hard act to follow. I must feel the author's heartbeat in their writing before sinking this deep into a story. All the better if it is intellectually stimulating as well.

Now, I can't believe I'm going to let this other little secret out of the bag too; the way I handle following up these hard acts. Would anyone believe it's by reading my own books? WoW. I can't believe I actually wrote that. What a reckless shameless plug, and right here on my own blog too. Ump. Ump. Ump.

At any rate, to avoid giving away any more 'reading' habits and secrets, as in telling on books I've already moved into my top ten best read selections (this year), I'll share some of my favorite books (over a summary of years) that were 'the hardest' acts to follow.

Note: For privacy, and secrecy's sake, I've left off a few of my earlier digs. I had to. No child should have been reading them books I started out reading. I'm sure they crossed over Valley of the Dolls at least at a three hundred percent fold, and I never even read the 'Dolls' book. And yeah, I know I could have omitted this little note as well, but then how else could I have explained how truly and utterly embarrassed I am about having a few extra hard to follow acts hidden behind my bookshelf?

When asked which books have impacted me personally, spiritually, and intellectually... these are a few that come right to mind.

All Souls by Michael P. MacDonald
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman
Hope's Boy by Andrew Bridge
Life is So Good by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman
Life on the Color Line by Gregory H. Williams
Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick
When We Were Colored by Eva Rutland
Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson

and now of course, No Disrespect by Sister Souljah

Comments

  1. Hey Lady!

    I like the new blog look, and no it's not a shameless plug, well...new followers might consider it so, but those of us who have been following you for a while, will think...the truf is just the truf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Dee! & Thanks twice... one for liking my new look, and also for dropping the comments.

      & LOL... to the 'truf is the truf!' I guess now I haf' to thank you for inspiring my next post;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts