Welcoming Change… 2012 New Year’s Resolutions!


When I first heard I was resistant to change I honestly couldn't figure out what in the double jeopardy this person was talking about. Who me? Resistant to change? —oh, this person, forget not having the slightest inkling of what change looks like in its dress down clothes; this one here knows nothing about getting along just fine with mood swings.

Change for me is not leap-frogging from one software program to the next, trying to figure out the differences between the old and new program. And it's not hop-scotching from one social forum to the next. That, to me, feels like an attention deficit. Or maybe...let's see how I can squander time doing the same function ten different ways. Now, while I can hang with a person who changes topics mid-sentence, talks throughout a movie, and each visit is showing me up with a new trinket, or this total new flair, moving around me like a tornado on speed...I am still reluctant to see this as change... at least in a constructive way.

My style of change is reading new voices. Challenging myself to attempt feats outside the realms of possibility. Looking up at a building and saying, 'I want to work there,' and then walking inside and working there. Staring fear in the face and taking it down with grace. Seeing sour relationships turn around, and being ever so grateful there is a such thing as forgiveness.

My style of change also is creating resolutions. It's something I do every year. Writing this list as flexible as I know how, fully aware of how receptive I am to change.

My New Year's Resolutions...

This year, seriously, I am brushing up on my small talk. I vow to be the best small-talker of all times, this year.

I promise, I promise... not only will I not go near a gym, but I will trim down on talking about my weight too. I'm walking with it this year. Cause I own it.

This year I also am going to let someone do something for me. I may squeeze and rip the arms off my chair. Chew up my tongue and swallow it. Will my breathing over to my next life. And turn every color in the rainbow in the process, but I will let someone either style my hair, dress me, ...eeek, critique my work, design 'a' book cover; at least one of these things I'll let go into the hands of someone other than myself. (God, somebody please pray for this person).

I think I'll crawl from underneath the rock and turn on my TV this year. At least once. Darn. I hope it still works.

I will not buy another pair of shoes this year. I don't care if I have to wear my favorite boots (or shoes) until they look like ankle bracelets around my ankles... no more shoes this year!

I think I'll stop here. This is about as much as I can promise myself given how I handle a to-do list.

Loved 2011... Happy New Year 2012!

Comments

  1. Enjoy being pampered, taken care of, and spoiled at least once a month. Let people that are good at what they do, do for you, what they do. You deserve it. Get a massage one month, get your hair done another, get a facial after that. Think of it as dessert for hard work.

    I was thinking about stop buying shoes for one year too but I am not 100% sold on that idea just yet. I am going to hit the gym this year since I paid for 2011 and never walked in. (Except to pay them bu that was Dec 29, 2010)

    Happy 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mocha, Happy New Year!

    Probably because I get pampered at home is why I'm reluctant to get out... but I do plan to at least get a massage... one from the bath to the bed. (Nothing sexual, but man that's best feeling!)

    - And that's too funny...paid for a membership and never walked in;-)

    ...I'll be in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the spirit. I'm bad at keeping to my New Year resolutions, they only last for some couple of weeks.
    We just launched our community: AFRICAN BLOGGERS COMMUNITY (also for non-Africans), we would appreciate it and be honoured to have you as a member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by African Bloggers, and bringing this community to my attention. I'll sign right up. ~ Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts