3-D Glasses & Banned Books?


It has to be ironic how little to no language I've devoted on banned books. In comparison to the shear exasperating number of times I've come across the headline, and two-stepping with the quaint amount of time I've spent looking into the subject, along with brushing brazenly against the mature themes I write on, and still no deep feelings or thoughts about the matter? I'll say it's ironic.

But today flavorpill drops me an email, 10 Fantastic Banned Books That Talk About Sex, and I finally thought... why not? And please, let's play nice and have a little fun. You may even want to pull out a pair of 3-D glasses. Which speaking of 3-D glasses, I have to plug this little tale... a tale that clinging-ly clones to the irony of why I never developed hardened thoughts on banned books.

3-D glasses and me met on a date. It was a long, long, long time ago, so this tale is fairly safe, though, and albeit, please make sure those glasses are covering those eyes. My date, yes, took me to a triple-X (rated?) theatre. (Sorry Mom, but that's where we went). Never had been in one before, like I said it was a long time ago. Of course I was intrigued, wanting to know what kind of films were shown in these places. From the outside the theatre didn't look too inviting. Got inside, and up to the balcony, where my date suddenly turns and tells me I have to wear these 3-D glasses. But why?, I'm thinking, though being a trooper I put the glasses on. No kidding, I have zero recollection of what occurred thereafter... film or otherwise. And no, please don't think 3-D. I wouldn't tell such a tale here on my blog. But do know, to this very day I lack understanding what the big deal is about 3-D glasses? I honestly believe your perception has to, first, be on straight before one can see properly out of those things.

This brings me right to banned books, and why I don't see fit to venture on the topic. The first time my attention was called to look into the issue, was when I heard I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou was on the list.

How'd this wonderful book I read as a child end up on such a list? And more importantly, what does a banned book mean? I may be wrong, as I'm not re-fact checking here, but I read banned books weren't allowed in schools, or to be required reading in schools, and in some cases were removed from library shelves, depending on who was protesting what content in the book.

Well, I'd already read Maya's book, and as it turned out, many on the list as well, all acquired straight off a library shelf... some I got from school. So for me, it was on to the next thing. The list didn't seem to make a bit of difference in as far as being able access the book... and then one day I happened to recheck this list, venturing a little deeper into the matter just because, and came across the Bible! After that, reading the gargantuan of reasons these books were being protested, the list meant as much to me as trying to see out of a pair of 3-D glasses. Why not foil-stamp every book? → BANNED? If you haven't already, you must check around. There are many banned book lists. All it takes is a group to protest a book, for any reason. The protests I've read were absolutely fantastic. Fantastically, huh? 

Here's one 'cited' list of 10 Fantastic Banned Books That Talk About Sex. (Can you believe it!?! The Diary of Anne Frank!?! Oh come on now…)

Forever by Judy Blume
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Goats by Brock Cole
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
Anne Frank: the Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Push by Sapphire
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Comments

Popular Posts