Meet Romance Author Cynthia Roberts

Coming across authors steeped in the kind of wit that stems from a broad base of experiences is a real treat, and even more of a treat when you learn the author says she’s been writing since a Crayola was placed in her hand.

Cynthia Roberts is the author of Wind Warrior (released June 2010), book one of the Iroquois Series, a historical Indian Romance novel set in the 1800’s. Cynthia also manages the blog The Girlz Korner, posting articles from A-Z for women of all ages. Visit her website to learn about release contests and give-a-ways for Wind Warrior’s upcoming fall promotion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interviewed (July 2010) by RYCJ/OEBooks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1. What is it about writing that excites, intrigues you most?

The simple joy in knowing I am creating a world someone can escape to when life isn't playing by the rules.

2. How long did it take you to write Wind Warrior?

Well ... in this instance... far longer than it should have. I was always an avid reader yet, I had this burning passion to become a romance author. Life simply got in the way far too many times. It started as a therapeutic means when my 25-year marriage came to an abrupt end. None of us saw it coming and it ran over us like an 18 wheel rig ...fast and hard. That was the beginning of my decade of upheaval from three layoffs, a mild stroke, a relationship that turned abusive, financial ruin and foreclosure this past year.

3. I understand the writing process for each novel is different. What was the process for writing Wind Warrior? Did you write from beginning to end, straight through? Or, did you skip around?

Once I knew I could not save my home back in 2009 September, the packing process began. In the wee hours of one morning I came across my manuscript and it was like being magnetized. By that time, I had a world of experiences and raw emotion bottled up inside of me and my fingers blazed across my keyboard from dawn to dusk. It was finished and submitted before Thanksgiving, contracted a month later, in production mid-January and released this past June.

4. Was there a section that you struggled with writing the most? Or, which section was the most involved to write?

I'm a firm believer that if you write a historical romance or involve a culture, you must stay true to it out of respect without the overkill. I literally spent hours at the New York State Museum library with legal tablets and hand wrote all my notes from an array of books based on the Iroquois Nation, the Seneca tribe and their folklore, language and history.

5. What rating would you give Wind Warrior? (General, Mature, etc.)

Definitely for a mature audience. I tried to keep my love scenes seductively tasteful without being vulgar. But I promise, you'll find yourself either taking a cold shower or chasing down your significant other for a roll in the you know what.

6. Dialogue or Narration? Which is your favorite to write? Favorite to read? And which is used most in Wind Warrior?

Oh definitely both!! Dialogue I love because I think it's a great tool for truly mirroring your character's personality. You can't truly create a vision, however, in the mind's eye without great descriptive narration though. I think it's so vitally important your readers feel as though they're shadowing the character and can see, taste, feel, hear the whole ball of wax.

7. Ambiance/mood is important for many writers? What's your preferred setting when writing?

I truly try to write every day especially in light of the fact Wind Warrior is Book #1 in my Iroquois Series. The are four others Captive Heart, Captive Warrior, Captive Soul & Captive Love. I created a play list of 70 songs ... my pure romance collection from Michael Buble, Peabo Bryson, Lionel Richie, Brian McKnight, Andy Williams and Tony Bennett ... can't write without my boys crooning to me.

8. What is one thing that you plan to do differently with writing/publishing your next novel?

Envelope myself in the simplistic joy of writing. I can't change the past but I can look upon it as a lesson. Because of the past 10 years, I know how to transform raw human emotion into a style of writing that will, if anything, touch my readers. The choices we make in life determine our fate. I choose to continue growing.

9. Off Topic: Okay, name two movies that made you cry, and why?

Movies??? Heck, I cry over commercials. It's a sad, sad thing :)

10. Is there any advice you would give to a writer struggling to 'complete' his or her first novel? (Other than don't give up.)

A few things ... if you have no educational background, take the time an enroll in creative writing classes at your local high school or community college. If you don't know the process and formula for writing, it will drag you down and keep you there. This is more important than anything. Secondly, either write what you know or in a genre you feel comfortable with. If you're all about romance, don't tax yourself unnecessarily trying to write sci-fi or futuristic paranormal. You can always work into it later after you've built yourself up.

And lastly, you have to believe in the essence of who you are as an individual and the impression you can make on the minds and hearts of your readers through your writing. Along with sheer perseverance, you can attain anything if you set your mind to it. This may seem overly philosophical but there truly is something magical about these following words ... "When you are standing at the edge of an abyss, overwhelmed by fear, disappointment and heartache ... faith is in knowing one of two things will happen. You can either let the fear and other life's tragedies disable and embrace you OR you can take a leap of faith and learn how to soar like an eagle."

Wind Warrior Book Signing ~ August 7, 2010 - 3pm - 5pm @ Borders Crossgates Mall


Available thru Amazon and Borders.

Comments

Popular Posts